"Boy genius" Wedge is leader of the Build Team and chief architect and designer of Earth's subterranean Space Bridge. He and his team have never once missed a deadline, and are so devoted to their jobs maintaining and expanding the tunnels that they may go prolonged periods of time underground, totally unseen by either Autobots or Decepticons.
However, Wedge and his team also feel a need to prove themselves as warriors, which drives Wedge to be somewhat gung-ho about charging into battle. He's the definition of a hot head, and he'll ask to be put into battle at any chance he gets - especially when his pride as a builder and an Autobot are on the line. This can put him in harm's way, and also be somewhat obnoxious to his fellow Autobots, but Optimus Prime believes he can be hardened into a capable warrior.
When his team merges to form Landfill, Wedge has total mental control over their combined form, lending him new destructive power to back up his usual bravado.
- Japanese name: Build Boy
Robots in Disguise
When the Predacons attacked a diamond mine in Antarctica, the Autobot Brothers were sent through the space bridge to stop them. The heroes were delayed, however, when they tried to go through a part of the bridge that was still being built by the Build Team. Wedge, the leader of the Build Team, said they would build a link to Antarctica on one condition: They got to go on assignment. Optimus Prime agreed, and T-AI sent them off to the mines.
When the Build Team arrived, the Predacons mistook them for normal construction vehicles that Sky-Byte had sent to help carry out the diamonds. For some odd reason, Wedge and the others were all too happy to help. The Preds soon realized their mistake, and the two teams began to fight. Wedge repeatedly tried to fight, and was repeatedly thrashed; at one point, Sky-Byte grabbed Wedge in his mouth and bit the young Autobot hard enough to make him scream, which caused his teammate Heavy Load to beg for mercy on his behalf. Wedge was only released after the Predacons were tricked into exchanging him for what they thought was a map of the spacebridge tunnels, but which actually was a map of the sewers.... in Antarctica.
During a skirmish between Landfill and Ruination, the two giant robots found themselves in an underground cavern filled with crude oil. Ruination suggested they call a truce until they could get to safety, but Wedge dismissed those fears and deliberately fired his weapon. Everything exploded and his teammates were set on fire. Thankfully, Optimus was nearby, and was able to put the fire out.
Robots in Disguise
- Wedge (Deluxe, 2000/2001)
- Japanese ID number: C-018
- Wedge transforms into a small orange bulldozer with slightly "super deformed" proportions. He is also one of the smallest Deluxe-class toys ever made. Wedge can move his shovel up and down in this mode. In robot mode, he is armed with a double-barrel laser cannon. He forms the upper torso and chest of Landfill.
- He was initially released as part of the Takara Car Robots line. The Hasbro Robots in Disguise version adds several small paint applications to him for detail.
- This mold was also used to make Universe Bonecrusher.
- Build King (Multi-pack, 2000)
- Japanese ID number: C-022
- In Japan, the entire Build Team set of Wedge, Heavy Load, Hightower and Grimlock was made available. The toys included were identical to the individual Takara releases.
- Landfill (Multi-pack, 2003)
- A mainly-yellow redeco of the entire Build Team was released as a Wal-Mart exclusive in November of 2003, as a multi-pack released on "Black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving, the most hellishly-overcrowded shopping day of the year. The set cost considerably less than four individual deluxes.
- Blade Attack
- Double Laser
- Shoulder Thrust