Tailgate was a member of the Delta Team, along with Arcee, on Cybertron. On one combat mission, Tailgate failed to take down a Decepticon sniper, forcing Acree to attack the Decepticons directly. As the two discussed where to meet, Acree was captured by Airachnid. While Arcee was captive, Tailgate was captured and brought to Airachnid.
Airachnid then killed Tailgate, after Arcee stated she didn't know coordinates of an incoming Autobot attack.
Years after his death, Tailgate was still remembered. When Cliffjumper and Arcee were captured on a Decepticon warship Arcee refused to work with Cliffumper, fearing that he might suffer the same fate as Tailgate had. Cliffjumper then told Arcee he knew what happened to Tailgate, as he was part of the rescue mission that saved Arcee.
When Cliffjumper was shockingly killed, Arcee had suffered the loss of another partner, the first being Tailgate.
Arcee said to Smokescreen to keep on his guard because, she had already lost two partners, one being Tailgate and other Cliffjumper. 
- He seems to have the same body type as Cliffjumper.
- Even though he only had a few seconds of screen time, a Cyberverse toy based on him was made.
- Tailgate shares his voice-actor with Arcee's human partner, Jack.
- Tailgate's color scheme on his toy is similar to his Generation 1 counterpart, both being blue and white.
- In the episode he debuted in, he seemed to be rust-colored, however his toy is blue and white, and shares the mold for Cliffjumper.