Predacons are a fierce (dragon-like), predatory race of ancient Cybertronians that were wiped out in the Great Cataclysm on Cybertron centuries ago. Their remains were left inside Cybertron's plates, within its outer shell. Shockwave used their C.N.A. to resurrect them as clones for the Decepticon cause against the Autobots in hopes of winning the war in their favor. However, this backfired as Megatron came to believe the Predacons might betray their cause for their own purposes after the latest clone, who called himself Predaking, displayed intelligence and the ability to transform, in addition to his incredible power. Upon a suggestion made by Starscream, Megatron ordered Shockwave to let the Autobots destroy the clones and the clones died out, all except for one in particular.
It is believed that Onyx Prime is the ancestor and father to all the Predacons.
Description and Background
Predacons appear to be stronger than most other Cybertronians, as no Autobot or Decepticon has been seen to single-handedly defeat one. Megatron was able to toss Predaking out of an airlock because Starscream shot Predaking in the back, which distracted the raging Predacon.
In Predacons Rising, Shockwave cloned two new Predacons after the death of Megatron. Starscream said they were planning to build an army powerful enough to conquer Cybertron in their Masters' name. This plan was delayed as Unicron took over Megatron's body to destroy Cybertron. Unicron brings back the undead Predacons and this results in the Autobots, Decepticon and Predacons to form an alliance to stop him. Optimus defeated Unicron by trapping him inside the Allspark's container and the undead Predacons crumbled to dust before they could enter the core. Predaking and his new Predacon allies found Starscream at Darkmount where they sought to seek the revenge on him.
In Transformers Robots in Disguise (2015), Starscream is revealed alive and had killed Skylynx and Darksteel, leaving Predaking and Ripclaw as the only Predacons survivors although their ultimate fate was unknown.
List of known Predacons
- Predaking (Leader, online)
- Dragotron (Leader, offline)
- Skylynx (offline; indirectly killed by Starscream)
- Darksteel (offline; indirectly killed by Starcream)
- Ripclaw (online, in Shockwave's laboratory )
Predacon Combiner Teams
- Hun-Gurrr's Combiner Team
- Rot Gut
- Divebomb (defected to autobots)
- Tantrum (defected to decepticons)
Predacons were the dominating race of Cybertron before Cybertronian history even began. They mostly have the appearance of dragons, however some Predacons have other beast modes. However they went extinct from unknown causes during the Great Cataclysm.
Shockwave rediscovered a piece of Predacon C.N.A. and cloned it to resurrect their species, then forged a perfect clone of their original leader, Predaking. After successfully doing so, Shockwave brought the beast to Earth as a means of hunting the Autobots. Predaking was sent to terminate Bulkhead and Wheeljack and almost succeeded, but the intervention of Ultra Magnus stopped him from completing his mission. Predaking was however able to withstand most attacks swung at him.
After Bombshock retrieved a Predacon fossil, Megatron revealed to Starscream that during the War on Cybertron, he created a small army of Predacon clones and dispatched them to Earth to eliminate all Autobot stationary forces and bases, as well as securing Energon deposits for the Decepticon cause. They waited for Megatron's arrival, but soon died out likely from starvation and their fossilized remains were buried deep within the earth.
Megatron restarted the plan to clone Predacons and had Starscream gather roughly two dozen Predacon fossils to clone them. When the project was roughly three days from completion the existing Predacon, now Predaking, revealed his sentience the Decepticons created a plan to make it seem like the Autobots destroyed the clones to avoid Predaking's rage.
After the Decepticons were down to Shockwave and Starscream, running around on Cybertron the two restarted Project Predacon as a last ditch effort to destroy the Autobots. Two new Predacons were created: Darksteel and Skylynx, while Starscream searched the fields for more fossils. The four eventually found a large Predacon graveyard only to have all the fossils turned into Terrorcons by the Unicron-possessed Megatron. Predaking later showed up and "convinced" his brothers to follow his leadership. After Unicron's defeat, the three Predacons retreated to Darkmount to exact revenge on Starscream. They now currently live side by side with the Autobots, having possibly proven that they can co-exist together, like Bumblebee stated.
- Many Predacons appear to have a large contrast between their beast and robot modes. In beast mode, they are feral and appear to be incapable of speech, while in robot mode they are incredibly formal and rarely use any contractions. Darksteel is the exception as he is seemingly feral in both modes. (although the Covenant of Primus reveals that Predacons are in fact capable of speech in beast mode, although it does not say whether they can speak the same language as other Cybertronians in said form.)
- Unlike previous incarnations of the Predacons, these versions cannot speak in their beast modes, this is confirmed in the third episode of Season Three.
- Predacons are unique in that their primary mode is their Beast mode.
- Predacons appear to be Cybertron's version of Earth's dinosaurs, which were the basis for the Dinobots.
- In Predacons Rising, a Predacon was seen to be growing in Shockwave's laboratory, it is unknown what happened to it, and it looks like it might be Ripclaw.
- All Predacons dislike Starscream due his mistreatment of them.
- In Predacons Rising, Unicron made a legion of the Predacons. But he made them into Terrorcons which were made of Dark Energon to attack the very core of Cybertron, Primus.
- It is unknown if these Terrorcon Predacons could transform into robot modes, as these were based on of the ancient predacons from the Covenant of Primus
- They could be considered Decepticons because they were allied to them and that they were Decepticon creations.
- Predacons are not seen to eat any bot or human in the show. They just bite, breathe fire, or use their claws in a fight. However, in the Covenant of Primus the Predacons were stated to hunt other Cybertronians and drink their energon.
- Despite Predaking, Darksteel, and Skylynx being the only male Predacons, no female Predacons have made an appearance or are mentioned by any of the males. Although, Ripclaw was seen in Predacons Rising, but only in Shockwave's lab.
- It is also unknown if Shockwave recontinued his project Predacon after Predacons Rising, considering the fossils of these Predacons had disintegrated when reaching Primus's core.
- The Predacons are probably not evil, despite their predatory nature. However though, they did hunt other Cybertronians and kill them in order to consume their energon.
- The Predacons resemble the movie versions of the Decepticons particularly their ruthlessness, and their willingness to kill on the spot. They also share their belief that their determination to save their race justifies their actions, which sometimes borders on large scale murder, as the Covenant showed.
- Predacons can make remark others and fight to the death if they want to.
- Shockwave treats his Predacon creations with respect unlike Starscream,who thinks they're beast void of all intelligence.
- This is the first incarnation of the Predacons that have them appear as a species, and a faction.
- Fans believe they made peace with the Autobots, but since it was not shown on screen or indicated by dialogue, the Predacons are neutral until further information is given.
- There is a difference to the Insecticons and the Predacons. The Predacons do not speak in beast form, but they speak perfectly as a robot, and have high intelligence. The Insecticons can speak in their alternate modes and their robot modes and they have a small amount of intelligence.
- In "Project Predacon," Bulkhead states that there may be beast wars, and on a number of occasions, Megatron calls them "Beast Machines," These are intentional references to the Beast Wars and Beast Machines series.
- In fact Starscream refers to the Beast Machines's old promo: Evolution in Revolution, episode nine of the third season.
Main Article: Predacon/Gallery