Optimus Prime (sometimes Nemesis Prime), is the leader of the Autobots. Long ago, he was the novice to the Great Sentinel Prime and the humble leader of Cybertron's science division, which studied the AllSpark and were protected by Lord High Protector Megatron's military. When Megatron was corrupted by the Fallen, Optimus discovered that he was the last of the Dynasty of Primes hidden away when the Fallen destroyed their lineage. In response to Megatron's attempts to seize the AllSpark and conquer other worlds, Optimus assumed his proper title and rallied the Autobots to stand against the Decepticons. Before the disappearance of Sentinel, Optimus is handed the leadership of the Autobots.
As obsessively as Megatron strives to achieve his objective, Optimus is equally as dedicated to stopping him even at the cost of his life, his world and - if necessary - his own people. It was on his order that the AllSpark was jettisoned into space, dooming Cybertron to a slow death and his people to a nomadic life. The sacrifices he has made weigh heavily on his spark, but they must be done for there is no other choice. He knows the ambitions that lurk in his brother's spark and they must never see the light of day. Lives must be kept free from the threat of Megatron's tyranny, no matter the cost. This obsession with the defeat of Megatron has robbed Optimus of some of his early idealism. This has created a certain ruthlessness beneath his otherwise honest and caring personality. Prime is not one for second chances and is willing to consider any action that might lead to victory, short of directly sacrificing those he cares about.
Japanese: Optimus Prime (オプティマスプライム Oputimasu Puraimu) Cantonese: O Baak Man (Hong Kong, 柯柏文) Hungarian: Optimusz Fővezér ("Prime Leader Optimus") Indonesian: Optimus Prime (옾티뭇 패리므"Op-ti-mus Pri-me", different from Optimus Prime), sometimes also Sang Ketujuh (상 크투줗"The Seventh") (In Indonesian, Optimus is known as the seventh Prime) or Pemimpin Para Autobot (프밈핀 파라 아우토붙"The Leader of the Autobots") Mandarin: Kē Bó Wén (Taiwan, 柯博文), Qíng Tīan Zhù (China, 擎天柱, "Pillar that Supports the Sky") Ukrainian: Optimus Naikrashchiy (Оптимус Наiкращий, "Optimus the Best")
Optimus is kind, caring, selfless, serious, highly intelligent, calculating and wise. He has a strong sense of justice, honor and good morals. On the battlefield, he is a great fighter, leader and tactician. He can be cold and ruthless towards his enemies, but he also has a sense of compassion for enemies who were turned from the right path. Optimus is very mature, calm, level-headed and patient, as he rarely loses his temper. Despite humanity's primitive state compared to his own race, Optimus often defends them by arguing that he sees their potential to be better rather than focusing on their flaws (even if this faith experienced some knocks after humanity rejected the Autobots following the destruction of Chicago). His affection for humans has also been shown in his admiration of them; when introduced to Buzz Aldrin, one of the first human beings to set foot on Earth's moon, Optimus accepted the astronaut referring to them both as space travelers despite his far greater time in space, acknowledging it as an honor to meet the man who had done so much by humanity's standards before they officially began collaborating with the Autobots.
As the last of the Primes, Optimus is one of the most, if not the most powerful cybertronian.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant: Optimus is shown to be an exceptionally formidable hand-to-hand combatant. In fact, the only ones that have been able to defeat him in combat are Megatron, Sentinel Prime and Lockdown (and most of Megatron's victories were caused because Optimus was already worn down after fighting someone else where Megatron entered the battle fairly fresh).
- Master swordsman: Optimus is shown to be a formidable swordsman. He was able to kill Megatron with only an arm and a battle axe within 15 seconds as shown is the third movie. Optimus Prime was also able to decapitate the drillerbot with his dual energon swords in the third movie.
- Master marksman: Although he prefers hand-to-hand combat, Optimus is extremely proficient in the use of firearms.
- Master tactician: Optimus is shown to be a master tactician.
- Master leader: Optimus is shown to be a great leader.
- Expert driver: Optimus is shown to be an expert driver in vehicle mode. In the first movie, he was able to do a swift u-turn, while driving at a high speed and in the third movie, he was able to tranform at a high speed in mid-air even with a trailer attached to him.
- Cybertronian strength: Optimus is shown to be strong compared to that of an average cybertronian. He was able to take down Shockwave with ease in the third movie. He is capable of lifting over 2,000 tons.
- Cybertronian speed: Optimus is shown to be a fast compared to that of an average cybertronian. He was shown to outrun helicopters in the first film and was able to outrun Sentinal Prime when Sentinal was in vehicle mode, as shown in the third film.
- Healing Factor: Optimus Prime has an enhanced healing factor, in the second movie, a badly damaged Optimus Prime was healing during the time Jetfire's parts were combining with Optimus.
- Invincibility: Optimus Prime has the matrix of leadership inside his chest. As long as it stays there, Optimus Prime has invincibility. He was able to survive a sword through the chest from Lockdown in the fourth movie.
Rise of the Dark Spark game
- Apparently this Optimus likes to go for Decepticon's faces during battle. Listed in order of occurrence:
- Optimus rams his sword through Bonecrusher's neck and tears his head off in the first movie.
- He helps to bring down Demolisher by shooting him multiple times in the head at point blank range in Revenge of the Fallen. After Demolisher crashes, Optimus finishes him off by shooting him through the eye.
- In the forest battle from Revenge of the Fallen, Optimus grabs hold of Starscream, kicks Megatron in the face when he chances after Sam, and then lifts and kicks Starscream in the face/jaw. He also digs his energon hooks into Grindor's face and rips his head apart.
- In the final battle in Egypt from Revenge of the Fallen, Optimus makes Megatron shoot himself in the face with his own arm cannon, and rips off The Fallen's face while exclaiming, "Give me your FACE!" as he does so.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus charges Shockwave, though he does extensive body damage, he finishes him by gruesomely ripping his eye out of its socket.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus axes Megatron's head and rips it off his body, along with his spine. Soon after, he takes Megatron's fusion shotgun and shoots Sentinel Prime, first in the back, then in the head.
- In Dark of the Moon the comic adaptation, Optimus uses his blades to open Shockwave's face and rips his eye out of his face before killing him.
- In Age of Extinction, he impales Lockdown in the back, only to run his sword up his body and slice his face and head in half. He almost broke his habit!
- Next to his Energon swords and Ion blasters, he has also two hooks, similar to those used by paratroopers, which he uses to rip open Grindor's head.
- Although, it's possible, that his blades can open up to become the hooks, looking at the blades shape more closely.
- However, after closer inspection of the forest fight scene, Prime is seen throwing one of his blades at Grindor, implying that the swords and hooks are separate pieces of weaponry.
- Even though Prime said he wants to find a peaceful resolution to the war, he declines Megatron's truce (though it is not very sincere) and brutally decapitates him.
- According to the movie site, Optimus Prime's closest ally is Ironhide, so he would have been pretty pissed at Megatron for causing Sentinel Prime to kill him.
- In the novelization, Megatron is much more serious about it and lays down his weapons. In return, Optimus spares him.
- In Dark of the Moon, he seems to have a slightly different chest. It sports a grill which is beneath the windows, making him look like he has abs.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus Prime's trailer can transform into flight gear or a weapon pack.
- Despite being a powerful warrior able to take down all the Decepticons he faces in the films, he always needs some kind of help to defeat the main villain of each movie: Sam had to kill Megatron for him in the first movie, and he needed Jetfire's parts to defeat the Fallen in the second movie. He also needed Megatron's help to defeat Sentinel in the third one, ultimately finishing him off rather than defeating him, and in the fourth movie he wouldn't be able to finish off Lockdown if it hadn't been for Bumblebee, Cade, Tessa and Shane.
- Even though he was supposed to get rid of Jetfire's parts, he looks much bulkier in the end scene of Revenge of the Fallen.
- In Revenge of the Fallen, as he enters into Shanghai, he is seen using his battle hooks to separate the parachutes and himself.
- In the Transformers: Destiny issue, Prime's holographic driver is modeled after Peter Cullen. Yep, that's right, Prime drives himself.