Transformers My Little Pony #3 is the third issue of IDW Publishing's crossover comic miniseries Transformers/My Little Pony: Friendship in Disguise. In the issue, Fluttershy and Discord's tea time is interrupted by Soundwave, and Rainbow Dash finds herself in a race against Windblade.
At Fluttershy's cottage, she and Discord are having their weekly tea party get-together when the Decepticon Soundwave crash-lands outside. Fluttershy's animal friends retreat inside the cottage in a fearful panic as Soundwave deploys his Mini-Cassette subordinates Laserbeak, Frenzy, Ratbat, and Ravage to scout and secure the area. Mistaking the smaller Decepticons as Soundwave's pets due to their resemblance to animals, Fluttershy comes out to introduce herself, and Soundwave determines her to be non-threatening.
When a cautious Discord comes out, however, Soundwave recognizes him as a threat and attacks. As Discord throws off Soundwave with his shapeshifting abilities and chaotic nature, the Mini-Cassettes corner and interrogate Fluttershy about the new world they have arrived in. During this, Fluttershy notices scratches where Ravage has sustained damage from past battles. She offers healing ointment to her new animal friends, which warms Ravage, Ratbat, and Laserbeak up to her, but Frenzy is unmoved by her compassion, physically knocking her away.
Fluttershy calls Frenzy a bully for dismissing her attempts to be kind and welcoming, and the other Mini-Cassettes turn on him. With his chaos magic, Discord turns himself and Fluttershy's animals into mechanical beasts, and they attack Soundwave while Ravage, Ratbat, and Laserbeak attack Frenzy. Realizing the power and might of friendship, Soundwave and Frenzy change their tune, and Fluttershy offers to start over and make friends; Soundwave and Frenzy agree under threat of Discord turning them into ponies.
As the two sides make peace, Soundwave receives a transmission from Megatron ordering him to rendezvous at another location. Soundwave acknowledges the order, but as he watches the Mini-Cassettes have fun with their new friends, he decides to stay a little longer.
The Flyin' Fox Trot
Rainbow Dash is relaxing in the clouds when the supersonic Autobot Windblade suddenly speeds past. When the two introduce themselves, what starts out as a friendly conversation quickly turns into a rivalry over which of them is faster. They decide to settle this with an impromptu race, with other ponies and Autobots also taking part.
As the race gets underway, Rainbow Dash and Windblade keep pace with each other, but a sudden rumbling sound heralds the arrival of the Decepticons Misfire, Acid Storm, Ion Storm, and Nova Storm. Wanting to prove to both Cybertron and Equestria that the Decepticons are superior to the Autobots, Misfire and his associates attack Rainbow Dash and Windblade. Windblade suggests they retreat, but Rainbow proposes they take the Decepticons out with an aerial maneuver called the "Flyin' Fox Trot".
At Rainbow's direction, the two first stay within the Decepticons' range and bait them into misjudging their flying speed. When the Decepticons fire heat-seeking missiles, Rainbow and Windblade fly off in opposite directions and guide the missiles into flying back at the Decepticons, resulting in an explosion and the Decepticons' defeat. At the finish line, Rainbow Dash and Windblade hold the trophy together and declare their competition a tie while the defeated Decepticons lie beneath them in a crumpled pile.
- Discord: --And I said, "That's why you don't eat oranges in my chaos dimension, buddy! Sometimes, the fruit bites you!"
- Fluttershy: Haha. Oh, Discord... You make even the most upsetting things sound so fun.
- Soundwave: Soundwave to Megatron. Alien landscape... detected. Initial data seems... illogical.
- Fluttershy: --It. Has. Pets?!
- Fluttershy: I'm always happy to make a new friend.
- Soundwave: Threat assessment... negative.
- Soundwave: [to Discord] Threat assessment--significant!
- Frenzy: [to Fluttershy] A'right! Start talkin', ya candy-lookin' pack animal. What is this place?! What're its defenses?! Why's everything smell like lavender?!
- Soundwave: [to Discord] Decrease absurdity. Or be deactivated.
- Frenzy: We don't get "boo-boos." That's... battle damage!
- Fluttershy: Well, I'm sure no pony wants that!
- Frenzy: Yeah, yeah--save it for the message boards!
- Discord: Big mistake--"detected."
- Soundwave: Friendship... superior.
The Flyin' Fox Trot
- Rainbow Dash: I'm Rainbow Dash, and I'm the fastest in Equestria.
- Windblade: Until I showed up?
- Rainbow Dash: Still!
- Windblade: Are you sure about that? I mean, I just broke the sound barrier. I have jet engines.
- Rainbow Dash: Sure. But can you do a sonic rainboom?
- Rainbow Dash: See you at the finish line!
- Windblade: Yes! Because that's where you'll find me waiting!
- Misfire: Heard you were having a little race. Did you forget to invite us?
- Rainbow Dash: Do these guys always talk like drama villains?
- Windblade: You've done this before, right?
- Rainbow Dash: No, but I've seen it in books!
- Windblade: I think I like the Flyin' Fox Trot.
- Rainbow Dash: Not bad, right?
- Windblade: So, tie?
- Rainbow Dash: Tie.
- The story takes its title from the Beach Boys' 1966 album of the same name.
- This story picks up right after the events of "Transformation Is Magic"—that story had Soundwave and the other Decepticons arrive in Equestria via space bridge and crash-land all over Equestria.
- Discord debuted in the Friendship Is Magic cartoon as a straight-up villain who sought to plunge all of Equestria into eternal chaos. Although Twilight Sparkle and her friends sealed him away at the end of the "The Return of Harmony" two-parter, he returned in the third-season episode "Keep Calm and Flutter On"; there, Fluttershy took it upon herself to befriend Discord, and eventually convinced him to change his evil ways. Over the rest of the show's run, he gradually mellowed into a kinder, though still mischievous, character.
- Fluttershy and Discord's tradition of holding tea parties together played a role in the Friendship Is Magic episode "Discordant Harmony". This episode also featured Discord's personal "chaos dimension" that he mentions in his story to Fluttershy on page one.
- While under interrogation, Fluttershy tells Frenzy the story of what is, presumably, the series premiere, which saw Twilight Sparkle and her new friends receive the magical Elements of Harmony after using them to defeat Nightmare Moon.
- Much like his appearance in the recent Transformers vs. The Terminator miniseries and the concurrently released Transformers/Back to the Future crossover, Soundwave's dialogue uses the blue, "electronic" speech bubbles that debuted in the 2019 IDW continuity.
- Soundwave's order to Discord (quoted above) is a riff of one of his lesser known quotes from "Megatron's Master Plan, Part 2", in which he orders a group of enslaved humans to "increase efficiency, or be terminated."
- Soundwave admits that "friendship... superior" in reference to his famous line from The Transformers: The Movie: "Soundwave superior, Constructicons inferior."
The Flyin' Fox Trot
- Although she doesn't create one in the comic itself, Rainbow Dash alludes to her powerful "Sonic Rainboom" maneuver in her first conversation with Windblade.
- Misfire's accompanied by the Rainmakers; originally a trio of generic Seekers from the The Transformers episode "Divide and Conquer", Acid Storm found fame when he received a toy in 2008; Ion Storm and Nova Storm received names in 2015's "Ask Vector Prime" column, and all three have recently returned as a cohesive unit over in IDW Publishing's ongoing Transformers comic.
- Misfire himself is wielding a twin-barreled gun based on his traditional Targetmaster partner Aimless, although we're not putting that down as an appearance because there's nothing to suggest Misfire's gun is alive here.