Megatron is the leader of the Predacons. He claims to have decimated numerous planets during his campaign for Predacon supremacy before coming to Earth in search of the megaweapon Fortress Maximus. He appears to have come into conflict with Optimus Prime and his Autobots numerous times before.
Although Megatron is a powerful warrior he typically leaves the fighting to his Predacon lackies, such as Sky-Byte, preferring to stalk around his ship/base the Megastar and berate his underlings when they inevitably fail. Upon his conversion to Galvatron, he is a lot more active and effective. His primary attack seems to be his Cutter Beam attack.
- Japanese name: Gigatron (Megatron), Devil Gigatron (Galvatron)
Robots in DisguiseEdit
Megatron arrived on Earth in search of Fortress Maximus. He abducted Doctor Onishi, an energy expert who had discovered underground energy anomalies that revealed Maximus' initial location. Onishi was kept unconscious and his brain was scanned by psycho-probes; he proved surprisingly resistant to this technique, and Megatron wasted some time tracking down apparent clues that had really just been strong but meaningless memories in Onishi's psyche. For one thing, he really liked vintage trains.
While acquiring and assembling the items necessary in order to locate Fortress Maximus' commanding entity Cerebros, Megatron came into contact with the Orb of Sigma, an extremely powerful ancient Autobot relic. Exposure to the Orb's energies transformed Megatron into Galvatron. The changes seem to be more than armor-deep: Galvatron proclaimed Megatron dead and he himself to be an entirely new person. His new powers included the ability to expand or shrink himself immensely, total immunity to extremes of temperature and pressure, causing volcanic eruptions, paralyzing other Transformers, mentally reprogramming his Decepticon minions, and acting as an energy vampire (an ability he used to draw masses of energy from Fortress Maximus).
He was also revealed to have zillions of tiny cyber-bats inside his body, which he regurgitated from his mouth and sent on missions as far away as the other side of the planet. The bats acted as roving siphons, draining energy from Transformers, machines, and even humans, and then returning to Galvatron, who swallowed them and gained their collective stolen power. When attached to a human, the bats overruled all thoughts and turned their victims into Galvatron's slaves. It made sense for Galvatron to have such a weapon: the belief in goodness, as practiced by human children, was the single most powerful energy source in the universe, and he intended to use it for his own ends.
When Omega Prime used the Matrix Blade to destroy Galvatron's Striker Lance, the resulting explosion (and apparent release of Galvatron's absorbed energies) was enough to defeat the villain. He was last seen being exiled to the Asteroid Prison Colony, swearing that he would return to seek revenge.
Robots in DisguiseEdit
- Megatron (Ultra, 2001)
- Japanese ID number: D-001
- The only new-mold badguy from the Car Robots line, Gigatron has six different configurations: robot, jet, bat, two-headed dragon, giant hand (awesome), and roadster. His hand mode actually has a spring-loaded "gripping" gimmick (oh hell yeah). He comes with a pair of pressure-launch missile launchers that can double as swords, or be combined to form a single naginata-like weapon.
- For the Hasbro Robots in Disguise line, Megatron was released using the later "Devil Gigatron" version of the mold, meaning it was capable of transforming into four more forms, though these were never advertised. The blades of his missiles were also rounded off a bit more to comply with safety standards.
- Galvatron (Ultra, 2001)
- Japanese ID number: D-013
- Redecoed into a color scheme more traditionally associated with "dead" in Japan, "Devil Gigatron" was also retooled to allow four more configurations, making him the Transformer with the most official alt-modes in a single body. Aside from the original six configurations, he can now also turn into a mammoth, a hydroplane "transport", a winged griffin, and a wyvern.
- This retool was used for all Hasbro-released incarnations of the mold.
- Megatron Megabolt (Deluxe, 2002)
- Originally developed for the Beast Machines toy line but shelved, it finally saw release as a Kay-Bee exclusive. Megabolt Megatron transforms into a head (its design based on the Grand Mal) with scuttling spider-leg action, opening jaw, and a hidden spring-loaded missile launcher in its mouth. In robot mode, the launcher swings over his head, placing a battle mask down over his face.
- If one removes the toy's spider-legs in head mode, it fits into the head socket to the Fortress Maximus main body.
- This mold was also used to make Megabolt, and as the guy it was originally supposed to be in Beast Wars Returns as "Megahead Megatron".
- Optimus Prime vs. Megatron
- Cutter Beam
- Cyclone Blast
- Dragon Laser
- Duo-Combination Dragonfire
- Hurricane Shockwave
- Mega Sword
- Sonic Pain Wave
- Twin Dragon Breath
- Ultra Traction Drive
- Dual Magma Stream
- Scorpus Laser
- Smog Cloud
- Plasma Burst
- Striker Lance