Hardtop is a crack shot, a dedicated hunter, and an expert in espionage. He considers the Autobot Bumblebee his greatest rival and worst enemy. What started as professional rivalry turned into a bloody personal vendetta. Hardtop is less interested now in the hunt for the All Spark than he is in tracking down his foe across the cosmos and finishing the job once and for all.
Hardtop followed his rival Bumblebee to Earth, and was the first Decepticon to arrive on the planet. Like Bumblebee, he too managed to uncover the connection between Sam Witwicky and the All Spark, but never had time to act on it. Turns out Bumblebee managed to bury him under tons of rubble somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
This might not have been fatal, and Hardtop might still be alive... and really pissed.
IDW Transformers (2007) comics continuityEdit
Thundercracker's only company on Mars bar his drones, Hardtop was scouting when he happened on a group of Autobots making a move on the undermanned Nemesis. Starscream ordered him back, or he'd miss out on the fun.
- Hardtop (Scout, 2007)
- A redeco of the Cybertron Hardtop toy, Hardtop transforms into a dune buggy of indeterminate model. Plugging a Cyber Planet Key into the butt of his rifle flips out an extended barrel for a "sniper" mode. He comes with a Planet X-style Key with a Sector Seven logo on it.
- Hardtop (and the rest of the Scout wave) are exclusive to Target stores, where they are all part of a Robo-Vision promotion. Hardtop comes with a Robo-Vision Decoder which allows you to see the Robo-Vision Code printed on his cardback. Starting June 2, 2007, Target's website allowed users to input those codes to access exclusive content.
- This mold was also used to make Cybertron Swindle.
- Hardtop's bio notes that it was a shot from him that wrecked Bumblebee's vocal processors. This contradicts the events of the IDW movie prequel comics, where it's Megatron who does the throat-crushy. Alternate timeline, or does Bumblebee just have Cybertron's unluckiest neck? It's worth noting that the expanded bio from the Target.com site removes any mention of Hardtop causing the injury.
- Speaking of odd possible contradictions, Hardtop's bio pegs him as a Decepticon, where his toy's only "faction" marking is for Sector Seven. It's possible Hardtop is hiding out among the Sector Seven motor pool disguised as one of their standard-issue assault jeeps. (And that his bio was written without knowledge of the deco.)
- The packaging the toy comes in depicts the key used for the toy as a Cybertron-style key, unlike the Planet X key that actually comes with it.