|Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers > Issue # 4|
|Previous Issue||Next Issue|
Kenji's tour of the Autobots' Japanese Subdivision is cut short when Megatron, Starscream and Blitzwing attack. Only Ultra Magnus can provide the means to defeat the Super Megatron Gun.
In Japan, Optimus Prime is giving Kenji a tour of the Autobots' Japanese Subdivision. As Optimus explains, the Autobots are busy building sub-bases all over the world, masked by human-operated secret entrances such as parking garages. All the bases are connected by an underground highway called the Autobot Road, allowing the Autobots to get from one end of the planet to the other in no time flat. Optimus gives credit to the founder of the Autobot Road, Ultra Magnus, whom he announces is currently en route with new equipment for installation. Meanwhile, Tracks whispers to Kenji that Prime treats Magnus like his "kid brother", and much giggling ensues. Before they can giggle any longer, Ratchet reports a Decepticon disturbance in Yokohama.
It is a disturbing disturbance indeed, as the Autobots stationed there are getting wrecked by Starscream, Blitzwing and Megatron in his newest form, the "Super Megatron Gun" (basically, his pistol mode, only not shrunken down to handheld size). The fight goes poorly, as Warpath gets crunched beneath Blitzwing's treads and Optimus Prime is blasted into uselessness as soon as he arrives on the scene.
Things begin to look bad until City Commander Ultra Magnus arrives carrying Prime's trailer, full of equipment. Prime shakes off his injuries and helps Magnus fire their newest weapon, the Scramble Power Buster. The giant gun knocks Megatron back into robot mode, enraging him. Megatron orders Starscream and Blitzwing to transform to jet mode and defeat the Autobots from the sky. Starscream and Blitzwing destroy the Scramble Power Buster and divebomb the Autobots.
Decepticon victory seems assured until Tracks and Kenji take to the skies. Blitzwing and Starscream follow Tracks, but the Autobot's superior maneuvering allows him to trick the pair of jets into crashing head-first into an unsuspecting Megatron. Seeing an opening, Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus get the last word in with their special move, the "Prime-Magnus Double Cross Kick". Kenji and the Autobots celebrate another victory as a mangled Warpath tries not to pass out.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- This issue takes place before the Scramble City OVA.
- Ever wonder how the Autobots managed to drive from the American Midwest to any continent on the globe in a handful of minutes? The Autobot Road provides the answer, acting as a convenient means to explain away this oddity from the cartoon. The Autobot Road would go on to inspire the Global Space Bridge in the Robots in Disguise series. Later, it would eventually be retconned into actually being the Global Space Bridge in the Japanese version of the show, thanks to Japan attempting to consolidate the continuities into one.
- The dozens of vehicles seen traversing the secret and exclusive Autobot Road mean either one of two things: There are a metric ton of Autobots on Earth that we never knew about, or select humans are permitted to use the road with permission.
- This is the first canonical instance in which Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are shown to have a brotherly relationship.
- This is the first and only time Megatron is shown transforming into his gun-mode without doing any mass-shifting.