The Dreamwave Summer Special, released in 2004 by Dreamwave Productions, was a special one-shot issue containing four unrelated stories from different corners of the Transformers mythos. Each story had a single page of information listing the crucial characters, and a recap of the plot of each series thus-far to make each story more accessible to newer readers.
Readers also had the opportunity to fill out a card to vote whether Beast Wars or Robots in Disguise would get a miniseries the following year. Beast Wars won by a large margin but the miniseries was never released due to Dreamwave's closing. A Winter Special follow-up was planned, featuring a story about Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, as well as several character profiles, but like many Dreamwave projects, this was also never released.
The stories included were:
- Generation One's "Welcome to the Jungle"
- Energon's "Perspective"
- Robots in Disguise's "Ultra Magnus... to the Rescue?"
- Beast Wars' "Ain't No Rat".
Items of note
- A press release regarding the Summer Special claimed that the stories within it would never be reprinted anywhere else. With Dreamwave's bankruptcy, this has thus far proved to be accurate.
- The "Wavelengths" page featured a note from the desk of Don Figueroa, who penciled the Beast Wars segment and the cover.
- The cover date was May 2004 (released July 8, 2004), with a cover price of U.S. $4.95.
- The Predacons defeat Megatron, art by Don Figueroa