Megatron creates a non-transforming clone of Dinobot in an effort to disable Sentinel.
Production Company Alliance and Mainframe Entertainment
Animation Studio Mainframe Entertainment
|[[../Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes|Episode Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes||[[../Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes|Episode Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes||[[../Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes|Episode Double Dinobot/Tech/Info/Episodes|
Terrorsaur attacks the real Dinobot while on patrol and buries him in a cave-in. Clone One is sent to infiltrate the Maximal Base in his place, but fails to convince Optimus Primal to immediately attack a fictional Predacon camp in Grid Omega. Primal instead sends the Clone and Rattrap to fix the camp's exact location.
Rattrap transforms to attack the alleged base and almost discovers the Clone's inability to transform, but stands down when the Clone reminds him this is a recon mission. Rattrap is puzzled by this uncharacteristic show of restraint, but stands down. While crossing an open lava flow, Clone One kicks the bridge out from under Rattrap, apparently sending him to his death.
Clone One returns to the Axalon (now crewed only by Optimus Primal) and fakes an injury, telling Primal that they discovered the Predacon camp under cover of a "stealth device" and Rattrap is trapped. Despite having just received a report from Rhinox that Grid Omega shows no signs of Predacon activity, Optimus Primal activates Sentinel and leaves to rescue Rattrap.
Clone One struggles to deactivate the shield without Dinobot's authorization codes. Meanwhile, the real Dinobot, who has freed himself from the cave-in, returns to the Axalon and deactivates the perimeter shield. Clone One believes he has finally succeeded and summons Megatron.
Primal and Cheetor rendezvous in Grid Omega, where they pick up Rattrap's trail. Rattrap, who landed on a chunk of rock on the lava flow, leaps for his life when the flow becomes a lava waterfall. He then grenade jumps back to stable ground, which draws Cheetor and Primal.
The two Dinobots come face to face and are momentarily baffled as their identical reflexes cause them to mirror one another's reactions. Clone One realizes the situation first and attacks, but Dinobot transforms and challenges his clone to a fight. Discovering that his double cannot transform, Dinobot return to Beast Mode and the two fight on equal terms. The Clone is losing ground, but a lucky blow appears to knock Dinobot unconscious. Clone One eagerly goes to meet Megatron, not realizing that Dinobot was playing robo-possum... Dinobot EATS his 'Brother' OFFSCREEN.
Dinobot poses as his clone and greets Megatron outside the base and flatters his ego while discovering his plan to ambush the Maximals as they return from Grid Omega then use their own defense grid to finish them off. Dinobot activates the perimeter shield just as Megatron is walking through it, shocking him badly. Megatron initially believes the clone has betrayed him just as Dinobot did, but is cheered to learn that's not the case. With the arrival of the other Maximals, Megatron retreats.
The Maximals survey the damaged command center in dismay and inquire what happened to the clone. Dinobot informs them that it is gone for good...and was 'quite tasty.'
"At last, an end to the boredom!"
- — Dinobot, delighted to be attacked
"Peaceful as an R-chamber. Looks like old chopper face is seein' things."
- — Rattrap
"It's time to blow this joint!"
- — Rattrap, demonstrating the proper method for a WartHog jump
"Well that's just prime."
- — Rattrap copies Optimus Primal's favorite quote.
"What in the Inferno are you?"
"What you might have been, had you not betrayed Megatron."
- — Dinobot meets Clone One
"Ooh, your brilliance is an inspiration to me!"
"Oh, you are an enchanting creature! I may just clone the rest of my troops."
- — Dinobot posing as his clone, to Megatron
Rattrap: "If there was a clone, then where is he, huh?"
Dinobot: "I'm afraid he's gone for good. A shame, really; he was such a handsome creature. And... quite tasty."
[Dinobot flicks a piece of flesh from his teeth at Primal and belchs loudly. Cheetor gives him a thumbs up.]
Optimus Primal: "...You're disgusting."
- — The Maximals discover the clone's deliciously gruesome fate: eaten off-screen
Original air date: November 5, 1996
Writers: Rowby Goren
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- Clone One's skin will later be seen on the wall of Dinobot's room.
- Megatron is extremely pleased to learn the clone did not betray him. One might suppose that if Dinobot had let him think clones were unreliable it would have saved the Maximals a world of trouble. Ah, hindsight.
- Megatron would clone Dinobot twice more; the Cyber raptors in Cutting Edge and Dinobot II in Feral Scream Part 1. The Oracle would use DNA from Dinobot's spark to create the Dinobots in Beast Machines.
- The Chamber Dinobot's clone was created in appears to be an extensively refitted Predacon R-Chamber.
Animation and/or technical glitches
- While the Dinobot clone is trying to deactivate Sentinel, a holographic Maximal logo appears with Cybertronix writing under it saying "who is this putz scally user." Then the shot changes to behind the projection as some more text appears next to a diagram that says "hey ian go f**k yourself," making one wonder what Ian James Corlett did to piss off an animator. Then the words 'Merv Griffin' display.
- Double Dinobot Script on BWTF.com (PDF)