Crankcase hates everything and everyone. He hates Autobot and Decepticon alike, hates his job, and hates that he works with the Decepticons because he was feeling really mad at the Autobots the day he signed up.
IDW Transformers (2007) comics continuity
Crankcase helped deliver a massive generator to Starscream's replica All Spark at Simfur as part of Payload's work detail. He made the mistake of complaining about this in front of Starscream, who promptly smashed his vocal processor and had him strapped to the cube, with the intention of draining his life-force to power it.
- Crankcase (Deluxe, 2008)
- Accessories: Clamp attachment, hammer attachment, key
- A Wal-Mart exclusive redeco of Cybertron Red Alert, Crankcase transforms into a Dodge Magnum emergency vehicle. Plugging a Cyber Planet Key into the back of his car mode causes two rear side-panels to pop out and reveal two spring-forward non-firing blasters. This gimmick is retained in robot mode, where they become over-shoulder blasters. He features an unusual transformation sequence in which both the front and rear halves of the vehicle mode come together to form his legs. His hood halves open to reveal storage space for extra tools (a hammer head and an opening claw) that can be attached onto his left arm blaster.
- This mold was also used to make Cannonball.
- Crankcase was originally designed to be part of the 2008 Universe line as a new version of Generation 1 Crankcase.
- Crankcase's "haz-mat" deco scheme was designed as a homage to his G1 counterpart's Transformers Universe profile, which gave him an origin as a fuel-spill janitor.