Optimus Prime is forced to confront the most dangerous and horrifying force the world has ever known...
Optimus Prime: Megatron?
No... school children!
Optimus Prime: (Gulp!)
To all Optimus Prime fans, prepare to look away and hit mute.
It is career day at Black River Elementary School, and Optimus Prime has stopped by to lecture the children. Prime is clearly a bit frazzled by the whole thing, and it doesn't help that one particularly inquisitive child is barraging him with a series of questions, such as where his head goes when he turns into a fire truck and how he manages to see when it's tucked away. Before Prime can adequately answer these questions, however, Daniel and all the other students start excitedly demanding that he change into a fire truck. Optimus reluctantly complies and, one stock footage sequence later, assumes his altmode, much to the delight of the students. Prime then returns to robot mode eliciting yawns and groans of boredom from the others, and attempts to return to his original speech. But Daniel raises his hand once more and asks where Prime's trailer goes when he returns to robot mode. The scene fades out as Prime is seen stuttering, trying to figure out the answer to that question for himself. But that question was very interesting. How does Prime NOT know where his trailer goes when he transforms into vehicle mode? I guess that question will remain unanswered.
- Written by: Uh...
- Directed by: Er...
- Animation company: Studio 4°C
- Original airdate: N/A; This is a short, meaning it is not televised (The DVD containing this short, Transform and Roll Out!, was released on June 17, 2008)
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
Daniel: Can you turn into a fire truck right now?
Optimus: Uh, well, I wasn't planning on...
Children: *cheering* FIRE TRUCK! FIRE TRUCK! FIRE TRUCK! FIRE TRUCK!
Optimus: *sighs* Fire truck...
- —Prime learns that there's just no pleasing some audiences...
Daniel: Where does your trailer go when you turn back into a robot
Optimus: Uh... Trailer uh... right hmmm...
- —Not even Prime knows the mysterious disappearing Trailer trick.
Transform and Roll Out! was released to DVD by Paramount Home Entertainment on June 17, 2008. The DVD presents the episode in film format, showing all three parts in a single form, and contains two all-new animated shorts (this one and "Evel Knievel Jump"). Together, the two shorts run just under 3 minutes.
Target sold Transform and Roll Out! with a special bonus disc that included "Home Is Where the Spark Is."
- The DVD containing this short does not list the title or feature any production credits. This information comes from Animated designer Derrick J. Wyatt.
Animation and/or technical glitchesEdit
- In the beginning, you can hear Optimus Prime speak, but his lips do not move until a close-up, unless he was wearing his face-plate. Kids can be a little germy.
- Optimus's firetruck mode is huge, with the kids being very small, and the teacher only coming up to the bottom of his front bumper.
- Fans have been wondering about just where Optimus Prime's trailer disappears to when he transforms for many, MANY years. In a way, though, it's relieving to know that Prime himself is just as in the dark as the rest of us. On the other hand, if even Prime himself doesn't know, then what chance do we have of finding out?
- When Optimus transforms back to robot mode, the dramatic music played when he transforms to FIRE TRUCK!!! is played again, only backwards this time.
- The kids in this century and setting are so used to robots, even giant ones that talk and originate from alien planets, that a fire truck is a lot more exciting to them. How times have changed.