Somewhere, an energy creature begins feeding off other forms of energy--slowly, at first. Then his creator gives him an Energon cube. The creature grows and spreads out into the universe. Soon, it attacks Cybertron. The Autobots attack it, but it simply drains their energy from them. The creature's creator is pleased with him, saying he's done better than his predecessor, Unicron.
On Earth's Moon, Rodimus Prime is leading a group of Autobots against the Decepticons. However, the Dinobots, Predacons, Terrorcons, Sky Lynx, Trypticon, and the animal-form Mini-Cassettes are all summoned by a mysterious voice. They leave the battle, and Galvatron orders a retreat. Suddenly, the energy creature arrives and drains the energy from the Autobots and Decepticons, as well as Earth and the Moon.
Most of the departed Transformers are riding Trypticon. Naturally, tempers flare after Headstrong picks a fight with the Dinobots by insulting Grimlock, so Sludge suggests they stomp him. The Preds stick with their teammate and fight the Dinobots, and the Terrorcons decide to fight everyone. At Sky Lynx's suggestion, Trypticon shakes himself and causes his passengers to stop fighting. They arrive on an ancient planet near the center of the galaxy. After touching down, Sky Lynx assumes command of the group, despite the objections of Razorclaw and Hun-Gurrr. Finding a cave, they encounter a strange entity. He explains that he summoned the Primitives, all animal-based Transformers, to come to fight Tornedron, the energy creature who was created by Primacron. The entity, who was once Primacron's assistant, explains how Primacron created Unicron but was nearly destroyed by his creation. After Unicron's defeat, Primacron created Tornedron as a replacement. Primacron's assistant hopes that the Primitives' simple instincts will allow them to defeat Primacon's complex plans.
Suddenly, Tornedron arrives and drains Trypticon of his energy. Trypticon crashes, and Grimlock is believed destroyed. Sky Lynx attacks, only to have his energy drained as well. Slag leads the Dinobots in retreat, while the other Primitives split up. Tornedron separates into four parts to track them down. He easily dispatches the Mini-Cassettes, chewing on Ratbat in the process. Headstrong declares that it would be better to die fighting, and the Predacons form Predaking. Their energy is sucked away as well. The Terrorcons try to fight back, but are also drained. The Dinobots ambush Tornedron, but they too are dispatched. Unknown to Tornedron and Primacron, however, Grimlock has survived, and he follows them.
At his base, Primacron is having trouble controlling Tornedron. Tornedron declares that he intends to feed on Primacron, and that all of Primacron's failsafes have failed. Grimlock breaks into Primacron's lab to find that Primacron is a tiny little alien...thing. Grimlock orders Primacron to reverse his damage, but Primacron declares that he's tried everything. Grimlock fixes things easily: He throws the reverse switch, which reverses Tornedron's energy polarity, restoring the energy to the drained Transformers and planets. In celebration, Grimlock destroys Primacron's lab, declaring it the smartest thing he's ever done.
Original airdate: 18th of November, 1986
Production number: # 700-112
Written by: Donald F. Glut
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
"Now remember, before you do anything, think, 'Is this what Sky Lynx would do in my position?', and you will not go far wrong."
- -- Sky Lynx's sensible instructions to the rest of the Primitives.
"I have summoned you here to tell you a tale from long ago."
"Oh, me Grimlock love long ago tales!"
"Then allow me to tell it."
- -- The Oracle slaps Grimlock into place.
"Suffer my rage, monster! I will show you no mercy! You will rue the day you crossed Sky--aaahhh!"
- -- Sky Lynx's righteous fury at the deaths of Trypticon and Grimlock.
"Sky Lynx is destroyed! Who will lead us now?"
"I Slag lead Dinobots away 'til I get better idea."
"Best idea yet! We run too!"
- -- Headstrong, Slag, and Hun-Gurrr debate strategy.
"I detest fleeing, I would rather die fighting!"
"He is right! Predacons, unite!"
"Tornedron... face, Predaking! To the end!"
- -- Headstrong and Razorclaw convince the Predacons to form Predaking
"Only you can save the world now, Grimlock."
"Me Grimlock feel important!"
- -- The Oracle rests the fate of... erm, the universe, on Grimlock's shoulders.
"Why you call Grimlock stupid?"
"You've ruined my lab!"
"Me Grimlock think is smartest thing me Grimlock ever do!"
- -- Primacron's reaction to Grimlock's celebratory destruction of the alien's lab.
- The art style in this episode is very different from all others in the Generation 1 series, with stylized "anime-like" character models and proportions. In fact, the character models for this episode are based on the Studio Ox designs rather than the standard animation models used for the other episodes of the series. It is widely believed that this lone episode was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, though little evidence has been found to confirm this.
- In Japanese continuity, the scene where the Primitives encounter the Oracle is set in the past; apparently, the Primitives arrived there via time travel. This is done to accommodate the idea that the Oracle later evolved into Vector Sigma and later Primus. Yeah, gotta love the Japanese.
Animation and/or technical glitches
- When summoning the Primitives, they forgot all about Laserbeak and Buzzsaw! Instead, Soundwave unleashes two new cassette Decepticons: Slugfest and Overkill...who are then never seen again. Gee.
- Windcharger is seen running around on Cybertron, despite having been killed in the Transformers movie. But hey, that happens all the time.
- This episode marks the last appearance of the Dinobots, Trypticon, and Jazz in the western cartoon...bummer.
- Unicron's origin is a bit...random.
- When Grimlock uses his flame breath on the Predacons and Terrorcons, they start to cough...cause that's what you do when you're being hit with fire reaching several hundred degrees.
(separate by commas and link each one so a page can be created for it if it does not already exist)