Bruticus Maximus is one of four ancient Combiner robots chosen to guard the Super Energon pools deep within Cybertron. He and his peers were awakened from countless years of stasis by Megatron when Superion Maximus's brother was destroyed by the Decepticon leader.
He and his friend Constructicon Maximus are quite willing to abandon their duty to follow a strong leader whom they believe represent Cybertron's future, a Decepticon-dominated future.
He is the combined form of the Destruction Team:
- Japanese name: Bruticus
- Hungarian name: Brutikusz
Energon cartoon continuityEdit
When Megatron destroyed Superion Maximus's brother, he unlocked the living seal on the Super Energon pool and awakened the remaining Combiners. While Superion Maximus was aghast at his brother's destruction, the Decepticon combiners were merely curious about who had managed to reactivate them. Megatron declared that the Super Energon was his and that he was master of all Decepticons.
Superion Maximus protested that the Super Energon belonged to all Transformers as Megatron jumped into the pool, changing into Galvatron once again. When the Autobot combiner tried to attack the reborn Decepticon leader to no avail, Galvatron ordered the two Decepticon combiners to give chase as Superion Maximus fled. Later, Superion confronted the two Decepticons, reminding them that they'd protected the Super Energon together for millions of years, and asking them why they had let one Transformer have control of it all. Bruticus Maximus and Constructicon Maximus merely replied that Galvatron was their master now, and that he represented the future of Cybertron.
Bruticus Maximus eventually paid for his treachery when a vengeful Superion Maximus attacked both Decepticon combiners. Surprised by the Autobot combiner's ferocity, both Decepticons were caught off-guard at first, until they over-confidently held him down, which proved to be their downfall. Superion launched all of his limbs at Constructicon Maximus, pinning him against a wall, as Superion's central component Storm Jet crushed the Decepticon combiner's spark, killing him.
Angered, Bruticus Maximus destroyed Superion's limbs, then began crushing him. Just as it seemed hopeless, a ghost-like entity appeared and shot off Bruticus' arm, freeing Superion. It was an image of Superion's older brother. Superion Maximus powerlinked with the dead Constructicon Maximus' limbs and attacked the confused Bruticus, piercing his spark, and causing a massive explosion which destroyed the remaining Decepticon.
- Bruticus Maximus (2004, 2005)
- Japanese ID Number: SD-21
- Bruticus Maximus is composed of his five team members, with Barricade forming his central body component. His limbs' Energon weapons form his hands and feet. Similarly to Generation One's Scramble City combiner teams, Bruticus Maximus (as well as Superion Maximus, Constructicon Maximus, and Nexus Maximus) feature universal connection points for the limbs, allowing many different combinations and even swapping of limbs from different teams.
- Only Barricade, Kickback and Stormcloud were initially released in 2004 for the North American, Asian and Australasian markets, with Blackout and Blight released later in 2005 and even 2006. This unfortunately led to many consumers having an incomplete Bruticus Maximus for many months. In Japan, the entire team was only available in a single gift-set, with slight color variations to each individual.
- Like the other two Energon "Maximus" combiners, the five component robots of Bruticus Maximus are made from only three molds: a central Deluxe torso, and two Basic limbs with two color schemes each. According to Hasbro representatives at BotCon 2005, this was done because the budget for the tail-end of Energon allowed for only nine-to-ten new molds, so they had the choice of two groups of five, or three groups of three. They went with the latter.
- The Destruction Team which makes up Bruticus Maximus are loosely based on the Combaticons.